Wednesday, September 08, 2010

the in between...

the time between travels is probably one of the most difficult times for me.. hanging on to the last shreds of carefree freedom... trying to keep my spirits up while getting back into the banality of work...  living through photographs and journal entries... planning the next trip... in the last few years, the time in between trips seems to be growing as the time away shrinks...

for a while it seemed as though nothing interesting was happening in my life... i was alive, but i wasn't actually living... it's bad enough not having a career in an economy-driven world, but not having a purpose.. that was something that i was not willing to succumb to... i started to think about what i could do to fill the void that seemed to be engulfing me... i took suggestions about volunteering, or reuniting with a past hobby.. one friend recommended "working out".. at least you'll be skinny she pointed out...

i'm trying to remember when it happened.. when i started to notice things piling up, one on top of the other until my calendar began to look like schizophrenic nightmare.. i started running again, picked up the paint brush.... i remembered my passion for writing and photography... i bought myself a new journal... i revisited this blog.. a friend pointed me towards cultural websites where volunteer opportunities in toronto were posted...

suddenly i was.. i AM.. involved... and have appointments, orientations, assignments and THINGS in my life again!!

scheduling conflicts are my latest burden is (why does everyone choose the SAME day for mandatory training?!?!) but at least i'm not bored... and i definitely feel like i'm serving some sort of purpose..

life still isn't perfect.. and perhaps it never will be.. but at least the "in between" is seeming less and less unimportant...

No comments: